Monday, November 17, 2008

Blessed Trinity


I know this doesn't necessarily fit what we are reading about today in God's Word or in our devotional but if you will permit me, I want to let you in on some things that I have learned over the last few weeks as I have been reading, praying and writing a paper for seminary on the doctrine of the Trinity.
When I began this assignment I was not sure if I could expound enough on the topic to put together a quality paper. But I have learned so much about the goodness of God in this assignment that I wanted to share just a small part of that with you. I hope it is a blessing to you as you ponder the greatness of our triune God.

The importance of the Trinity is immeasurable for many reasons, most notably, as Wayne Grudem asserts, is that “the atonement is at stake” and “justification by faith alone is threatened.” For these reasons the doctrine of the Trinity should be seen by each believer as vital to our Christian faith. I stand in awe of the power and grace of God and find it delightful that we serve such a wonderful and big God that we cannot fully understand, but we can know. Admittedly the doctrine of the Trinity is a mysterious truth that we cannot fully understand but I praise God that He is not fully explainable because that would not require any faith on our part and would affect greatly his being worthy of our worship and praise. Sometimes, we have to be ok with the fact that some of the things of God will simply have to be accepted by faith; faith in a loving God that reveals Himself to us in the Trinity so that we can more fully know His character, His goodness and His power. I am so thankful for the God that set creation in to motion, sent his Son to die on the cross for our sins and that the Son purchased the forgiveness for our sins and also gave us the gift of His sinless life that is imputed to us as believers. That same son, in His sinless life, gave to us a model of how to live. Most notably was the fact that He completely submitted His will to the Father and so we should do the same. I’m thankful that God did not leave us just with Christ’s example of a sinless life of submission to the Father but that He also sent the Holy Spirit that lives in us and gives us the ability to live as Jesus lived. May we all be able to sing with great enthusiasm, “God in three persons, Blessed Trinity.” Praise be to God.

Mark Gilliam

Stewardship Minister

No comments: