Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Taken for Granted


After reading the devotion from September 1 I am struck with the simple thought that it is sad, but it is true that we usually take for granted those who love and care for us the most.

I see this in my children and I see this in me. I have the most amazing wife in the world. I know guys say stuff like that all of the time, but I genuinely have a terrific wife who is also an incredible mother. She is an organized, loving, beautiful and fun-loving woman who loves her God and her family.

Sadly, I and my children take her for granted. Most of the time we live with an assumption mindset. We assume that she has everything planned out. We assumed that we will eat and have clean clothes. We assume the bills will get paid on time. We assume that if anyone gets sick, she'll make them better.

We should not live like that. We should live in a constant state of thanks and awe of her.

It is the same way with God and His people. So many times, we take Him for granted. This morning we all got up and the sun rose. There was air to breathe. Jesus is on His throne and God is at work to bring about His perfect will. These truths should not make us complacent. These thoughts should make us feel overwhelmed with awe and wonder and thanksgiving.

This God who has done, is doing, and will do so much for us and is unlike anyone or anything that can be known. He desires that we delight in Him. He wants us to talk with Him and journey through life and eternity with Him.

This is a privilege. Let's not take Him for granted.

No comments: