Monday, September 22, 2008

Songs

I have found that hymns and other songs sung to worship God are often great reminders of Biblical truths. In fact, one of the intentions of my music ministry is to not only select songs that help us express praise, thanksgiving, and testimony to God corporately but to give songs as tools of personal worship and reminders as we go through the week to come.

For instance, "The Solid Rock" was a song that we sang yesterday in the context of the day's theme, "It makes sense to rely on Jesus." Throughout this week, the words, "On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand" and "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness" will resound in my mind as I face the temptation to rely on myself or on other temporal things. I am thankful that God has given us songs to sing. I am thankful that when joined with music, scripture passages are easier to remember and Biblical truths are burned into our minds and hearts.

When you see that you are going off course today or this week, hum a few notes of a song to help you remember whose you are and for whom you live: CHRIST, THE SOLID ROCK!!

Benny Stofer
Worship Pastor

No comments: