Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hunger Priority

All of us can quickly name the physical necessities driving our lives. Obviously, we have to have air to breathe, so when we are under water or choking and cannot breath, we begin to panic. When we get thirsty, we urgently try to find something to drink. When we are hungry, we find food to eat. I have really gotten good at this one. I even eat when I’m not hungry I enjoy it so much.

With all these truths on my mind, I read the August 21st devotional speaking to hungering and thirsting after righteousness. I thought about my behavior of really valuing the satisfaction of physical needs when my greatest need of all is to be fully attentive to God’s movement in my life allowing Him to fill a life which I must empty of myself. This is not easy. There are many, many distractions including physical needs. There is a world around me constantly feeding my tendency to place my priority on me. This is not best. It is not even good. My prayer is that I will continually be an emptier of my own agenda and an embracer of my Lord’s. I want to hunger priority to be right.

Once a Pastor baptized a young man whom he thought needed a lesson in this area. He took the young man under the water and held him there for an uncomfortably long time. The congregation began to be concerned as the Pastor continued to hold the young man under the water. After he thought that the young man’s lungs much be craving air, he brought the young man to the surface and gave him this charge. When you desire to please Jesus with such urgency as you sought air for your lungs, then you will be where He wants you. Go and live in His Lordship.

Benny Stofer
Worship Pastor

No comments: